Animal Cruelty is a Felony Offense!
• Owning or training dogs for fighting is a felony punishable by up to two years in prison and a fine up to $50,000. Penal Code 597.5
• It is a crime to torture, wound or kill an animal. Penal Code 597
• It is a misdemeanor to carry or cause an animal to be carried or left in a vehicle in a car on a hot day without ventilation. The car can be impounded. Penal Code 597a
• Failure to care for animals or abandoning them in buildings or confined area without food, water or shelter is a misdemeanor. Penal Code 597.1 and 597s
• Dogs kept outdoors cannot be tethered and must be provided access to a dog house, food, and water at all times. LAMunicipal Code 53.70
To report animal cruelty call LAPD, LA Dept. of Animal Services,
Animal Cruelty Task Force at 213-847-1417
The Humane Society of the United States has some helpful guides that will give you ideas on how you can help dogs in puppy mills. First, "An Advocate's Guide to Stopping Puppy Mills" is a good place to start with many ideas that can propel you into action. And, "A Guide to Using Local Ordinances to Combat Puppy Mills" is designed to help you work for the passage of local laws in your own community that will improve the lives of dogs in puppy mills.